Tags

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I know I haven’t wrote in a while, but this New Year has been busy so far!

What I have been up to…
First I made a quick quilt for my daughter to have at daycare. I still had some charm squares and binding left from my parent’s Christmas present. I also had some nice gray yardage I used for the back. The quilt was quick and cheap, and she loves it!

I used heat and bond lite to bond the triangles to the white background. Then I zigzag stitched all the way around them. To create the “string/rope” for the bunting I set my machine for a long stitch and just sewed a line back and forth about 4-5 times to create the rope/string.

The quilting is a bit random.  It was the first time I used my hera marker and I love it! You just sandwich your quilt like normal, then “draw” on the quilt with it. It creates a crease that you can see even if you handle your quilt a lot. I just started drawing and making designs with the curves of the bunting and then intersecting them.

It was also the first time I tried out basting spray. I thought it worked really well for me, I didn’t get as much shift.

The cold and flu/season hit our household shortly after : (

Then our daughter got the chickenpox. Below is a picture of her “sick” with the chickenpox. She didn’t get then that bad at all. The hardness part of the whole thing was not being able to take her anywhere for a whole week while she was contagious. She did although ask me, “Do chickenmox last forever?”. She is too cute with her “chickenmox”!

I did manage to finish another project though…
A “man” blankie : ) for the hubby for St. Valentine’s Day!
It took me forever to find the right manly fabrics for this quilt. Once I saw Melody Miller’s Typewriters I knew that I had to incorporate it into his quilt. He is a writer, so I thought it was very fitting! I also used two of Lizzy houses prints, Royal City – Basra Blue from 1001 peeps & Castle Heraldry in Orange from Castle Peeps, Moss Ta Dot by Michael Miller, Turtle Bay by Tula Pink, Tudor Stripe by American Jane, Everglade Kona Cotton, Linen in Coco, Wood Grain in Dill & Brown by Joel Dewberry.
I thought that wood grain was a great idea too, symbolizing the desk you would do your writing at. The other prints just help the mind to wander.

I pieced the back together with some of the wood grain fabric, green linen, gray and more royal city. And bound it with wood grain in brown.

The quilt was done in time and it was a success! I gave it to him on the morning of Valentine’s Day, he gave me two rose bushes (too cute he knows I hate to get flowers because they just die, how creative!). Then we had a romantic dinner at home for 3  : )

My newest project, I get to participate in The ‘Not So Scrappy’ Fabric Challenge!
Bloomerie Fabrics sent me 6 fat eighths to play with! It is a beautiful bundle of joy!
I am almost done with my project, and I will be blogging about it soon, so watch for that!
The rules are…

  1. Each bundle includes 6 fat eighths, shown above. You must use each fabric in your project, but you do not have to use all of each one.
  2. You can add 1 more solid or blender fabric from your own stash. You can; you don’t have to.
  3. We want to see what you make, so you have to blog about it and post pictures of what you make. {Think of this as the runway show, so to speak.}
  4. You’ll have until March 3, 2012 to complete your challenge and post about it on your blog.
  5. You must be in the US to participate.

Advertisements